Monday, April 23, 2012

The Trials and Tribulations of A.R.T



A.R.T. is Assisted Reproductive Technologies (or Techniques). One in eight couples struggle with INFERTILITY. We have been 'labeled infertile'. This comes when after 12 months of actively trying to conceive, conception has yet to occur. I don't like to come out and say it. I feel like it makes it real and that infertile means we will never have children.

I also know that this is a trial for us to learn something, or to benefit another.

I have read many books about A.R.T. it is my way of coping, educating myself. My favorite book so far has been The Conception Chronicles.


Another thing that I know I should do, is talk to people. This morning on the Diane Rehm Show on NPR they had a story about A.R.T and the trials that come with it. They talked about how people going through this need to talk to others. And how they need to take care of themselves, even if that means not going to that baby shower. I really suggested if you know little about A.R.T. or what people going through this are experiencing to listen to the show.

It is hard for me, especially because of where we live. It is also easier for me to talk to a complete stranger, than a friend. This isn't a cry for help, it a here what is going on. We have decided to be more open about this, which is why this is being posted now, not 6 months ago when we started looking into A.R.T. We also are not going to share every detail, I personally wish we don't have to go through some of the things we have coming, and hopefully we never get there.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that you have this challenge. I kind of know how it feels. If you need to talk let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you the best of luck! We tried for over a year to get Matthew so I have a little understanding of what you are going through, however, at the same time I know I don't. If you ever need a sounding board I am here :)

    ReplyDelete